Monday, July 20, 2009

Potty Training Update

First off, I need to say THANK YOU to everyone who posted comments on my previous post about potty training. I was in a huge rut and I really need the boost you all gave me to continue on the potty training journey! I am really happy to announce that Rian has been doing awesome since my last post!

I took Auntie Lauren's advice about not asking Rian if she needed to go, but instead just taking her. That way she wouldn't have the chance to tell me no. Most times I would just say something like can you come with me? and we would walk hand in hand to the potty. That worked extremely well!

I also decided that I did not want to 'reward' Rian, but instead 'chart' her progress. As all of you probably know, Rian is absolutely obsessed with anything princess. So I found a free sticker chart on the internet, printed it out, and taped in up on the wall in Rian's bathroom. I just happen to have some princess stickers too. I crossed my fingers that this would be the key to her success.....and thus far it has been! She loves to put her stickers on her chart whenever she has gone on the potty! She has already filled up one chart and is doing very well on her second!

I also read on the internet to add food coloring to the potty water. Supposedly, if you use blue dye, it will change to green once the child goes in the potty. Well, we tried that experiment and I guess Rian's pee isn't concentrated enough (which is a good thing!), but she still loves to add food coloring every time she tries to go on the potty!

We've moved on to Princess Pull-ups instead of diapers! Sometimes she will tell me when she has to go, but that isn't too often. I wonder how to get to that next step? However, over the past three days she has told Matt and I probably 5 or 6 times that she needs to go. So I guess that is improvement, right?! We are just so proud of her! In fact, yesterday she told me she needed to go and asked if she could try it by herself. Of course we encouraged it! So I secretly watched her from around the corner :) She did so good! We are so proud of our little girl and hope that we can continue making progress!!

1 comment:

Andrew and Marissa said...

I was seriously so happy for you and her when I read this. I was also sad because she is growing up so fast. This will be the next step in our parenting journey and it makes me sad but excited to see them grow up. Yay for Rian!