Monday, July 20, 2009

'D' Day Preview

Yes, 'D' as in Delivery Day!!
A few weeks ago, I started noticing that my lower abdominal would hurt when I lifted one leg to get dressed or shave, or wash my legs/feet. I said to Matt, I don't remember feeling pain like this this early in my pregnancy with Rian. I took out my pregnancy books to research pain in lower abdominal and only found stuff regarding the stretching of ligaments....all normal stuff. Fast forward to two weeks ago. Matt and I decided to do a leg workout together. I was definitely sore for a few days after the workout, so I took a few days off from working out and waited for my body to recover. In the meantime, I continued looking up soreness in lower abdomen....no success. A week later I felt fine. I would still feel weird when getting dressed and showering, but I didn't feel sore or anything so I figured I could workout.
Wednesday morning I was doing an leg and arm workout at home. Right after I finished a friend called and asked if I wanted to meet her at the gym after Rian's dance class. I decided walking on the treadmill would be a good cardio workout after doing arms and legs in the morning and since Rian's class is at the gym anyways, I should take advantage of being there. So I did. Big mistake!
That night, I was in the worst pain of my life. I couldn't walk or get up from a sitting position without my lower abdomen killing me. I knew something wasn't right. There had to be something in my books about this kind of pain. I started looking in the index for anything that could relate to my symptoms....soreness, pain, tightness, abdominal, but I found nothing. At that point I just started reading the index knowing there had to be something in my books, I just couldn't find the right word myself. Finally I got to P. Pubic Symphsis Dysfunction. I read about it in my book and then researched it on the internet. I think this is what I have and decide since it isn't harmful to the baby I would wait it out for the night and I would call the Dr in the morning.
I couldn't get in to see my regular Dr the next day, but decided it didn't matter who I was seen by, my pain was too intense and I needed to be seen. I didn't want to walk in the office claiming I knew exactly what was wrong with me, so I let the Dr do her exam and then told her about my findings. She didn't really like my suggestion. She said that my cervix was already dilated to a one and, therefore, thought is was either a bladder infection or contractions. However, it didn't hurt when I pee'd and I know for sure I wasn't feeling contractions, I wasn't cramping at all, I was just sore and tight and I only felt pain when I moved around. But I went along for the ride, because I would rather have a concerned Dr than one who didn't want to take the time to worry. While my labs were being processed they admitted me to the Mother/Baby Unit to hook me up and make sure I wasn't having contractions. Man, laying in that hospital bed brought back many memories! I just hope this next labor/delivery goes as smoothly as my first did!
I wasn't having contractions! And my labs came back normal. The Dr still did not want to diagnosis me with Pubic Symphisis Dysfunction. She told me to take it easy and re-visit this issue with my Dr at my next appt (in two weeks). So that's where we stand at this point. The pain level has definitely gone down since taking it easy the entire weekend, but it still isn't completely gone with certain movements.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kacie said...

no more working out for you my friend. That's horrible! Don't you hate how they always just assume it's something really dumb when you know that it is something more? I hope you feel better and that it is nothing serious.

Katy said...

Hey, sorry to hear about your soreness. I experienced a lot of lower-abdominal soreness, also. When I was 5 months pregnant with Ruby I over-exerted myself somewhat physically and in the night I woke up with extreme pain, called the midwives freaking out, etc, etc. I could barely walk, could not drive, I was pretty scared. My midwife said since those muscles are already working pretty hard holding up the baby, it's a good idea to go easy on them in general. I was layed out on the sofa for a week, I really could not even sit up for 2 days. It's scary stuff, but everything worked out fine in the end. I hope you get back to feeling normal!