Friday, August 14, 2009

New Calling

So I had this feeling that I was going to be called as the CTR 8 Teacher, when the Primary Presidency called last week and asked if I could substitute until a new teacher was called. When we were asked to meet with the Branch Pres last Sunday, I knew for sure it was happening. I am so embarrassed to admit this, and I will blame most of it on my pregnancy hormones, but I cried when he called me. I converted to the Church when I was 21 and have never even attend primary, let alone know anything about it. I didn't want to say no to the calling or anything, and I totally accepted the calling without hesitation, however, I was sick to my stomach with nerves and uncertainty.
After attending last Sunday's classes, I feel a little more comfortable with the idea, but I am still really nervous about the whole thing. How do I keep 5 boys interested and engaged in my lesson for an hour? The manual is very helpful, but at the same time, some of the lesson ideas just won't work in our group setting. Anyone have any good websites or ideas on lesson planning? Or just words of wisdom in general?
I haven't held a calling in over a year and I know that is part of why I am so nervous. Ever since Matt graduated and we left Logan, we have been floating from home to home and ward to ward. Now that we are finally settled down for longer than 3 months, and our records are finally in our home ward (or branch in our situation), of course, I am going to get a calling. I know I'm not alone when it comes to getting nervous about a new calling. But I can't help and think that every Sunday these boys' parents are going to ask them after church "what did you learn in primary?" and it is up to me to make sure that they can answer that question. As I type this, though, it doesn't seem like it is that hard of a question to answer or a task for me to deliver. They are basic gospel principles and I know that I will honestly learn a lot from these kiddos and the lessons. I can do this!!! Right?!?! :)

6 comments:

Missy W. said...

I was called to be the CTR 7 teacher a few months back, and I really love it. Something that helps me a TON is the church's website. They have a section totally devoted to kids - you can download lesson related coloring pages, games and stories. If the kids get restless, I have them color, while I tell a story from the lesson. I try to do simple object lessons (Which they really love). I have to be honest, I prefer Primary to relief society now!

Los Bradshaw said...

Tracy I totally feel you on this one. I was called to be the primary secretary about a year ago and found out that I would be teaching sharing time on occasion. I freaked out. But, I would have to agree with the other comment when it comes to the church website... it is awesome. Very helpful! Primary is also really fun. Where else in church do you get to sing for 20 min straight? :) I am now teaching the sunbeams and love, love, love it. And I know you already know this, but just remember you have been set apart to teach these kids and the Lord will bless you for your efforts. You'll be a wonderful teacher!
Julie

Cotter said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!

Doug and Marilyn said...

I'm in the Primary now too and was just as nervous as you. But what you bring to Primary that I don't is such a different experience and testimony. It's just what they need. I agree with Missy, Primary is so fun and kids are so forgiving and loving. You will have a blast. I like the church website and there is another one called SugarDoodle where people put all their ideas on there. I love it. The site is: http://www.sugardoodle.net/mambo/index.php
Good luck!!

Heather Layton said...

One thing I've noticed with my primary class (same age) is that no matter what I do or say, they never seem to remember from one week to the next what we have been talking about. so if that happens, it's the age not the teacher - that's what I keep telling myself anyway! (: Good luck! You'll be amazing!

april said...

You will be an awesome teacher! I use sugardoodle a lot for my lessons for Young Womens. Just prepare and pray and do your best, you will have help! I am sure it will get easier for you and less overwhelming. Good luck!