Tuesday, August 18, 2009

New Calling Update

Thank you so much for all your wonderful words of wisdom on my last post! I'm grateful for all the encouragement and great ideas. I should have clarified this in my last post, since I have many friend and family who aren't members of my Church and who do not know what a CTR 8 teacher is. Primary in our Church goes basically from ages 3-11. CTR 8 are the kids who have or will be turning 8 yrs old this calendar year. This is such an awesome age in our Church because it is the age that a child is baptized! So basically I will be teaching lessons to 7 and 8 year olds. I am so excited to be working with this age specifically! I have 5 boys in my class and hopefully 2 baptisms next month :)
I'm not sure what I was so worried about honestly. I feel like Sunday went amazingly well! In fact, last minute they combined the CTR 7 and 8 class (the other teacher did not show up to church) and I was very scared to take 8 very rowdy boys and 1 girl on my first day of class, but I stepped up and did it. All I had to do was lay down the law, and they basically behaved from then on. Matt says that primary here is just a little different from stateside; they seem to be very wild here! And that I just need to teach them how and when to be reverent. Easy enough, right?!
The kids are really great and I am already starting to love each one of them. Amazing how quickly that works, huh :) They were participating and pretty interested the whole time, so I feel really confidant!
Matt (who I made stay with my on Sunday, even though I didn't even need him!) said I was a natural! I mean, I have worked with elementary age kids since I was 16 yrs old. He said he was pretty impressed with me, my lesson, and the kids behavior and participation! Last week they were pretty rowdy in class, so I am feeling really good!
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who commented and let you know how I did on my first day of teaching primary!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm sooo happy to hear that!! And now that the first one is done, it only gets easier because you know a little more of what to expect. Good luck with your calling. I hope you LOVE Primary!

Traci said...

I am glad to hear that you survived the kids. I also teach primary, the six year olds. They are fun yet intimidating. Rick has been my team teacher and just got moved else where. I hope I can survive without him. You look super cute as a second time mommy to be.